Thursday, November 25, 2004

Recruiting - Joe Wolfinger

Another blurb about the 7-footer who commited to the Washington Huskies after being pursued by Paul Hewitt and others. Sounds like something is selling well for the Huskies:

Roy is convinced past national exposure is how the UW signed heavily recruited 7-foot center Joe Wolfinger, a Beaverton, Ore., native now attending a Massachusetts prep school.

The big guy, also pursued by Cincinnati, Florida State and Georgia Tech, appeared extremely knowledgeable about the Huskies, who received precious nationwide airtime last season while playing in the NCAA Tournament against Alabama-Birmingham, traveling to North Carolina State and hosting an unbeaten Stanford team.

"The kid visited, and three days later he committed; it was that fast," Roy pointed out. "I used to scratch my head and say, 'Coach, kids don't know what we're doing here.' Now, I'm scratching my head and saying, 'Coach, we're going to have to turn kids away.'

"When I committed, I thought everything that's happening was going to happen. But because it's happened so fast, it's incredible. It's happened overnight."