Tuesday, November 09, 2004

ESPN Profiles the Hoops Team

Check it out now - we are on the front page of the ESPN website. What's all the "hoopla" - well.....hoops. First, how GT was the "it" team of 2004. This is just an outstanding article about Coach Hewitt and the team. There is no doubt that D.Braine has been a big reason Coach Hewitt is here and why he is staying:

"I felt after the first year here that we could recruit the guys we needed," Hewitt said. "But what clinched it for me (that he could succeed at Tech) was the support from Dave Braine and (school president) Dr. Wayne Clough."

Hewitt said both Braine and Clough are good listeners and could look at the program and see progress.

"There might have been people who didn't want to talk to me on the street, but every April, he was throwing a contract in front of me," Hewitt said. "I was like, 'If you've got faith in me, then I've got faith in me.' I was frustrated at times, but I didn't feel pressure."
................
"This is a very difficult place to coach because of the standards and narrow curriculum and when you get the right person, you better keep him," Braine said. "It will be a lot harder for Paul to leave now. When you show loyalty, you get loyalty in return. He's the most loyal guy I've been around."