Wednesday, June 09, 2004

So Bill Parcels is a racist????

Check out excerpts from a interview set to air with Larry Bird - story here.

In an interview for an ESPN special set to air at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jim Gray asks Bird: "Does the NBA lack enough white superstars in your opinion?"

"Well, I think so," Bird replies, according to an ESPN transcript. "You know when I played, you had me and Kevin (McHale) and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because as we all know the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."
And the coup-de-gras:
"I didn't care who guarded me -- red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
Ok, so this doesn't make Bird a racist, but man, Larry, what were you thinking?

This has nothing to do with GT, but couldn't resist.