Sunday, June 26, 2005

Beesball - Some Explain to me the backstory here..

I hadn't heard this one before about Bruce Chen, a pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles, who attended Georgia Tech, but did not play baseball there.


Chen was signed by the Braves as an undrafted free agent while attending Georgia Tech (but not playing for the Jackets). The southpaw began to show huge upside when he pitched for Macon in 1997, going 12-7 with a 3.51 ERA and striking out 164 in 139 innings.


Baseball America tapped him as the No. 1 prospect in the Braves' organization that year, and he seemed to meet the expectations, getting up to Atlanta by the end of the '98 season and going 2-0 with his cup of coffee.


"(Atlanta) was a real nice city," Chen said. "I met my wife here. I was treated real good. I learned a lot from the organization. I can't complain; they treated me real good."