Friday, September 05, 2008

Football - Paul Johnson Show Notes

A few quick hits from Paul Johnson's Radio Show last night:

On BC's tackles and their massive size
"One's a doughnut away from 350lb".

On the success at the O-Line:
"If we're getting knocked back inside (the interior of the O-Line), it makes everything bubble out, and it's slower to get the perimeter, and it allows those guys to make plays a lot easier. You can't zero in on reading them because everything is bouncing and they have more time to read what you're doing."

On throwing on the first play:
"They told me right before the game that it (throwing) was legal."

On the forecast of rain impacting the game-plan:
"Once we get there we'll see what it's like. It might change how you call the game, but there's not much you can do about it. The gameplan is in.............. They have to play in it too.......... If it rains, it rains. I learned a long time ago not to worry about things I can't control."

On the picture of Johnson yelling at Embry Peeples on a TD
"I got one note telling me what I needed to do to motivate guys, and that yelling doesn't build character.... La-di-da-di-daa..... So I immediately forwarded that email to the Marine Corp, because I knew that they want build character and they've never yelled at anyone.".............. "It was much more to do about nothing. Embry and I laughed about it. Those guys know or they will get to know that during a game I get intense. We'd had a long play and Roddy had scored a touchdown, but I was trying to make a point about a certain area to block. I joked with Embry and told him - I got you in the paper all week. This week you're going to have to do something to get me in the paper."........... "It wasn't personal. Embry is going to be a good player for us, but I think he'll know who to block on that play from now on."

On a side note, check out this paragraph about Navy's game one and their new head coach Ken Niumatalolo (a Paul Johnson disciple), who displayed the same game intensity last week:

Ken Niumatalolo showed a little bit of Johnson, too, in how he reacted to Bryant's fumble. He grabbed Bryant's jersey and made sure Bryant knew that sort of “complacent” (Niumat's word) play was not acceptable. To Bryant's credit, when asked later about Niumatalolo's reaction to the fumble, he said, “I deserved it.” That little scene, and its aftermath, said a lot about Navy football.