Sunday, August 29, 2004

Where are they now - Joe Hamilton

"Playing for a Spot".

Hamilton Leads Scoring Drives Against Buffalo
INDIANAPOLIS – Reserve quarterback Joe Hamilton got just two opportunities during the Colts’ third preseason game.

Say this for Hamilton:

He certainly didn’t waste them.

Hamilton, a veteran quarterback who signed with the Colts this past off-season after a productive season in the Arena League last spring, played in two series during the Colts’ preseason victory over the Buffalo Bills. He led scoring drives on each series, extending the Colts’ lead from 20-10 to 30-10 early in the fourth quarter.

“I think I did well,” said Hamilton, who completed 1 of 2 passes for nine yards and rushed once for six yards before leaving the game with bruised ribs. “It was a short stay. I would have loved to have been in there for longer and been able to close it out.”

Hamilton, who led the Colts’ game-winning touchdown drive in the preseason opener, said he doesn’t know if he’s shown enough to make the Colts’ roster. He is currently listed as the team’s third quarterback behind Peyton Manning and Cory Sauter, but was the first quarterback off the bench behind Manning Saturday.

“For the most part, any time you can get up and get game action, it helps a lot,” Hamilton said. “I’m taking in as much as I can take in. You never know what will happen. Would I have liked to have played more? Yes. We have five quarterbacks here, and I’m not in a position to complain. With the reps I’ve been given, I’ve tried to make the best of them.

“For the most part, I let the chips fall where they may.”