Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Football Fix

LOGAN TO FOCUS AT QB
RamblinWreck.com

Well, isn't this interesting. I don't know if it says more about the strength of the WR core or the depth of the QB position. Looks like Taylor Bennett will redshirt for sure. Don't tell me some guys aren't team players. They're not all about the PT. Check out this quote from Mark Logan:
"If Coach needs to me to go in at quarterback, I can be a quarterback," said the Greenwood, S.C. native. "If he needs me to go in at receiver, I can be a receiver. If he needs me on special teams . . . wherever he needs me, I can go in and do it.

"I just look at this as a chance to help the team."
Now that is leadership. Heck hearing things like that just makes me root for the guy to get into the games.

LOGAN WORKING AT BACKUP QB
Mike Knobler - AJC
Well, here's the same story from AJC.

LANDRY GLAD TO BE BACK IN ACTION
Rana Cash - AJC
Glad to see Dawan Landry hungry to get back on the field. By the way, did you read what I said below in the Todd Walker post about the value of recruiting high school QB's? Check this quote out:
Just how much that helps him add to last season's production is unknown. Landry delivered bone-jarring hits and finished the season as Tech's fourth-leading tackler with 85, including six tackles for loss. He also contributed two interceptions, two pass breakups and two fumble recoveries. Against Florida State, Landry was a menace: He recovered a fumble, intercepted a pass and broke up a pass. To punctuate his performance, he caught a 12-yard pass for a first down on a fake punt.

That's the kind of play the former quarterback is capable of, but even he needs practice to avoid taking a step backward.


TERPS ANNOUNCE SELLOUTS
Well, the GT/MD game in College Park is sold out. No doubt they are going to want revenge.

ALL TEXAS SPORTS, 24 HOURS A DAY
Well, Texas has created a 24-hour network devoted to Texas sports. For $3.95/month you can subscribe. If GT offered the same would you pay? I would (if only to feed this monster). Notice this comment about content:
The university reached deep into its archive for some of the programming, Plonsky said. The channel will broadcast coaches' game films, some of it transferred from the old 8-mm film, to show classic UT contest dating back to the Longhorns' 14-7 win over Georgia Tech in the Cotton Bowl in 1943.
Just thank ESPN Classic for this.

TENNESSEE TO START FRESHMAN QB
Notice Stewart Mandel's reference to true freshman QB's, including Reggie Ball.