Sunday, July 04, 2004

Global Games Update - USA beats Peurto Rico

Another tight one, but USA eeks out a win 108-107, to win the bronze medal. Here's the line for our recruits:

Anthony Morrow
13 points, 5-11 FG, 1-3 3pt, 2-2 FT, 5 boards, 2 assists, 4 fouls

Zam Fredrick
8 points, 3-6 FG, 1-1 3pt, 1-2 FT, 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 foul

Ra'Sean Dickey
12 poitns, 4-8 FG, 0-0 3pt, 4-6 FT, 11 boards, 1 assist, 4 fouls

Jeremis Smith
7 points, 3-8 FG, 0-0 3pt, 1-2 FT, 3 boards, 0 assists, 5 fouls

Potential signees
Byron Eaton
0 points, 0-2 FG, 0-1 3pt, 1 board, 1 foul

Kevin Rogers
0 points, 0-1 FG, 2 boards

No doubt this was the best all-around night for the GT group combined. They combined for 40 points, 22 boards and 5 assists. Link to boxscore...... Here's an article on the game. Evidently there was a scare when J-Smith landed on his head and was unconscious for a brief moment:

With 9:12 left in the fourth quarter of the fifth-place game against Puerto Rico, former Dunbar player Jeremis Smith fell and hit his head, rendering him unconscious for a brief period of time.

"I didn't know I was on the ground until I saw everybody standing above me and looking at me," Smith said.

Smith was helped off the court and sat behind the Team USA bench as he recovered.

He returned with 5:21 to play in regulation and connected on a key three-point play in the final minute before fouling out in overtime in Team USA's 108-107 victory.

"Mainly, I wanted to help my team," Smith said. "I didn't want to quit on my team. I got the three-point play and made the free throw like I was supposed to and then my team finished it up from there."

Smith and teammate Anthony Morrow, a fellow Georgia Tech signee, were both named to the All-Global Games Team.
Also note that 28 of 30 NBA teams had representatives at the Games. Ukraine wins the gold, defeating Croatia.

One more article on the game and this on J-Smith:

Team USA received a scare with 9:12 left in the fourth quarter, as Fort Worth Dunbar product Jeremis Smith was motionless on the court after falling and hitting the back of his head. The Georgia Tech signee returned with 5:21 left. He said his head hurt after the game.