Monday, December 20, 2004

Where are they now?

BOBBY CREMINS

Former Colorado football coach Bill McCartney was scheduled to speak at a Fellowship of Christian athletes breakfast in Mobile today. Former Georgia Tech hoops coach Bobby Cremins, who now does color commentary for South Carolina games, will be the guest speaker at a luncheon today.


ED NELSON
Ed finally got a decent chance to play and ended with 7 pts and 4 boards - and now the Huskies are officially "blue collar".

But as much as anyone, UConn reserve Ed Nelson was responsible for turning back the Owls. Nelson finished with seven points and four rebounds in a season-high 18 minutes after starting the second half in place of sophomore Charlie Villanueva.

"I got off to a pretty good start and it felt like it was old times again," said Nelson, the Georgia Tech transfer who was named ACC Rookie of the Year in 2002. "I just went out today and played my heart out.

"The shots weren't going in easy, so I figured I'd knock a couple of people over and put it in," grinned Nelson, a 6-foot-8, 260-pound junior. "Usually, when the ball isn't going in, I'll get frustrated. But if I have to hurt someone to put it in, that's what I'm going to do."

With Nelson on the floor, UConn immediately became tougher. Suddenly, it was blue-collar basketball instead of run-the-ball-down-your-throat. And that was perfectly fine with Calhoun.