Monday, May 10, 2004

Rick Pitino Not So Happy These Days

After chasing the money around his whole career, Rick Pitino is getting frustrated that these young kids are chasing....... the money. In his own words:

"The agents have runners, the shoe companies have runners, the AAU teams have runners. Everybody's running. It's all part of this business, and it's all about one thing: M-O-N-E-Y."
Story here. He loses 2 prized recruits to the NBA draft and another one could possibly miss the entire upcoming season with an ACL problem (undetermined). Of course he did sign a talented kid Tello Palacios, who will help them immediately. Again, I'm crying puddles.

However, do you remember the inflammatory comments Pittino made about Donta Smith's JUCO coach? Said it was the poorest case of leadership he had ever seen, blah blah blah. Well, that coach has fired back, basically saying "I haven't talked with Donta and I've been telling him all along to go to college". Check out the last quote in this article:
Franklin, who was born in Kentucky and said he grew up a UofL fan, said he felt he needed to speak out after fielding several phone calls yesterday from people upset by Pitino's comments.
"I don't know why he would say those things," Franklin said. "I guess he felt like he could get away with it because I'm just some dude out here in the cornfield."
I LOVE IT!!!!