Friday, May 07, 2004

Rick Pitino Goes Off

Well, he knew he was going to lose Sebastian Telfair to the NBA before he even stepped on the Louisville campus. But he got a shocker this week when JUCO Donta Smith also announced his intent to enter the draft. Smith's big mistake - not consulting with Pitino. The result - read the story.

Quote from Pitino:
"It could be one of the five worst moves I've ever seen," Pitino said. "If it's the right decision, I'll tell a player I have no problem with it. This one I totally disagree with. Somebody is giving him advice who doesn't know anything about the game of basketball. When young people listen to the wrong people, they almost always make poor decisions." "This was very poor judgment," Pitino said. "He never called and discussed it with me. I couldn't be more upset with the player, and I'm very, very disappointed with the (junior college) coach. That's as poor a leadership from the coach as I've ever seen. "It's disappointing for (Smith), because he had a bright future ahead of him if he'd made the right decision."

This is a 6'7" kid who they say can play the point and has a 7 foot wingspan.