Wednesday, January 07, 2004

UNC with a little internal strife

With the UNC game coming up Sunday, thought I would stir things up a bit.

Roy Williams hasn't exactly won over all the TarHeel players. Check out this article, as Rashad McCants is the latest to raise Roy's neck-hairs.

If you have followed any UNC basketball so far this year, it is obvious that Roy Williams sees the media as an acceptable tool to teach his kids a lesson. Some of the comments he has made about his players, their performances are just shocking to me. How many negative things have you heard Paul Hewiit say about his team this year, or any year for that matter? Maybe Matt D. and the players really had a problem the last couple of years, and Roy thinks he has to fix it. Just seems to me that the media is not a way to do it and build trust with his team.

Here is a another story about the rift.
Here is an article with some stinging quotes after the UK loss

Roy Quotes (just a few I could find - many more if I took the time):

- "Playing is a right, not a privelage" (his only good quote of the bunch)
- "You know, I've got the vaguest idea," Williams said. "I'm worried about if I'm going to jump out of the damn plane on the way home. I don't know if I'm going to live for two more years. You saw us play defense. I'm sure as crap not going to worry about what the crap is going to happen in two years."
North Carolina coach Roy Williams said he was "as frustrated as I've ever been in my life" after the loss to Kentucky, the Tar Heels' second of the season. "
- "Sometimes we act like things are supposed to be given to us," he ranted. "I want teams that want to win, not just hope that we win, but frickin' get down with it and make something happen. I get tired of hoping the other team's gonna screw it up. That's the most frustrating frickin' thing that I've ever been around, is hoping somebody's going to screw it up. That's what the crap we're supposed to do, is we're supposed to do our job to make something happen."
- "I'm sitting here racking my brain to figure out how we came so close," North Carolina coach Roy Williams said. "I really am, because we were fricking awful."
- "The difficulties here are the expectations and the belief that I'm some miracle worker," Williams said. "I mean, we have some problems. If we didn't, Matt would still be coaching here and I'd still be coaching at Kansas."
- North Carolina coach Roy Williams said his team didn't have intensity and turned in a "pathetic" defensive effort.
- "If we play (against the Demon Deacons) like we did today, it will be the biggest blowout in the history of the Smith Center," Williams said. "We'd have no hope."
- "Should you say stunk or stink or stank? I'm not sure" North Carolina coach Roy Williams said. "You can write pathetic, you can write pitiful, you can write what the heck you want to write, because whatever you write, it's going to be better than the game.... It was just a bad day. We've got great things happening in the world, we've got Saddam. I'd like to find one of those daggum holes he was hiding in and go hide there myself for awhile."