Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Recruiting Update - Calvin Johnson

Saw Calvin on "Countdown to Signing Day" on Fox Sports South Tonight. They opened by comparing his game on the field to Terrell Owens (they specifically said ON the field).

Here were some of his comments (paraphrased):

Q: Why did you chose GT?
CJ: I grew up with GT sports. I love GT. I live here. I really like the coaches and the players at GT and the society fits me well.

Q: Should be fun watching you hook up with Reggie Ball for the next few years
CJ: I am looking forward to it. I look forward to developing our relationship and who knows - maybe compete for a championship one day.

Q: It must have been something to tell Coach Gailey monday night that you were committing to GT. He visited you at your home.
A: It was great, a big load off my shoulders. I knew what GT had to offer and I had made up my mind after visiting UGAg last weekend. I decided that I was going to commit when Coach Gailey came to my house.

Q: It is not often that GT and UGAg go head-to-head in recruiting battles. Tell us about the process.
CJ: Both schools recruited me very hard. Actually I like the coaches at UGAg just as much as the ones at GT. In the end, GT was a better fit. The academics are stronger, not to take anything away from UGAg, but GT was just a better fit for me.

Q: Talk about your strengths and weaknesses?
CJ: To play WR you have to start with good hands. People talk about my size and strength at the position also. Areas I need to work on are quickness and agility.

Q: One of the skills that you have that people are impressed with is your ability to block. That takes real determination
CJ: I really enjoying hitting people. It gives me an adrenaline rush. It's something I take pride in and is an important part of my game.

Q: What are your goals between now and 2-a-days?
CJ: I think I need to really work on my route running. I think if I can get that down I should be ok.

Q: How do envision yourself as a freshman in the ACC
CJ:I really want to be THE go-to guy at GT, a guy who has a big impact.

Q: What advice would you give other guys that will be in your shoes
CJ: Just accept the process. There are phone calls every day at all hours. Probably the best advice is get it over with quick.