Sunday, December 04, 2005

How do you like Rice-A-Roni?

Cause you better start, as for the fourth time in five years, the Jackets will head west for their bowl game. The Jackets will be matched up against Utah in the Emerald City Bowl on December 29. Here's info....... So the Music City Bowl gets the 6-5 team and the 7-4 has to fly to the coast............ again................ The team that has beaten 2 top-10 teams gets to fly west. The team that went into Auburn's house and into Miami's house and took care of business gets to fly west. The team that is 3-5 in conference gets to go to Nashville and the 5-3 conference team gets to fly west so most of their fans can't attend. Having said all that. UVA has a glorious history of getting jilted in the bowl games, so they caught a break.


All I can say it this - if it was the Peach - I'm there............. Nashville - I'm there....... Orlando - I'm there........... Charlotte - I'm there.......................... San Francisco - I'm watching from my living room. Sorry but I just can't swing it..............Jacket fans are not happy at all. When they announced the bowl invite over the PA system at the GT/UVA hoops game tonight, the whole place erupted in boos.................... However, don't take this out on Utah or the Emerald Bowl. This is frustration over one thing - driving vs flying. There were other bowls that we deserved to attend, but we're not a North Carolina team, and we've been to Orlando, so there it is................... There is another frustrating aspect to this - the Emerald Bowl gets the LAST pick of ACC teams, since it is one of the tie-ins. Now, we wouldn't have accepted a Boise bid, but even the blue turf bowl picks their team before the Emerald. That means every single bowl in the conference passed over Georgia Tech. Not exactly a sign of respect for a good season.


I could not be more happy for the players. This could actually be a fun game and atmosphere for them. I bet they'll have a blast out west because SanFran is a cool city. But most won't be able to bring their family, and neither will I.................... Enjoy team - get the extra 15 days of practice, kill Utah, and enjoy yourselves!!! See you on the boob-tube.


So I'm happy for the players, and really ticked off for the fans. We deserve an east coast bowl - period............. exclamation point. BC got hosed. GT got hosed. UVA and NCST got better than they deserved.


Personally, I would like to read a formal explanation from the Music City officials and the ACC as to why Georgia Tech was not invited. I just don't get it................