Monday, October 31, 2005

Quote of the Day - Bill Curry

Bill Curry on the fact that head coaches cannot be as open and playful in the media as they once could:


"When I was a player, we had plenty of guys that got drunk and got in fights.
And I'm talking about Georgia Tech and the Green Bay Packers and the Baltimore
Colts," Curry said. "But do you think it ever appeared in the newspaper? Of
course not.
"Now it's on the front page of USA TODAY."


He had another great quote in this article about recruiting Hershal Walker:

Walker's silence suddenly had the Yellow Jackets buzzing at Tech. After all, Curry had persuaded the running back to make his final recruiting visit to Atlanta.


But when Easter morning broke, word out of Wrightsville had Walker heading to Athens.


"I was a knucklehead,'' says Curry, now an analyst for ESPN. "It was my first head-coaching job. ... I didn't know how rare Herschel really was. I actually was dumb enough to think we had a chance to get him."