Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Football Notes

Quote of the day from Clemson DB Duane Coleman, talking about his scout team preparing him for Calvin Johnson:

"If we had somebody on our scout team that can represent Calvin Johnson,"
said Clemson senior cornerback Duane Coleman, "why isn't he playing?"


There are tons of Calvin-worship quotes from Clemson players in the article. However, instead of focus on all that, I'm going to chose to take one quote out of context just for bulletin board material - from CB CJ Gaddis:

"You've got to take the most dominating part of his game, which is the deep ball. As long as you keep someone on top of him, you can hold him and contain him."


Sorry, but there is one way to contain Calvin Johnson - keep Reggie Ball from throwing his direction. That's it............. and that has worked in the past. Not so much this season with the Patrick Nix offense. Should be interesting.


Still lots of talk about Calvin and the Heisman, including this. Tashard Choice had this to say about CJ:

"He's the best talent I've seen -- ever," Choice said.


"He's the fastest guy on our team, by far. No one else is even close," Choice said. "When the ball's in the air, he goes into another gear. He gets faster as he goes."


Now, I thought this quote from CJ was insightful about the development of his route running:

"I'm getting myself wide open, maneuvering the (defensive back) without touching him to be where I want him to be at," he said.


Think about that. He's learning how to use his route running to move DB's where he wants without touching them - not just trying to beat them to a spot or out-muscle a ball from them. That's progress for sure - not just his Neo magic.


DID BOBBY BOWDEN JUST CALL NIX AN IDIOT?
You be the judge:

How well would you assess that (offensive coordinator) Jeff (Bowden) has adapted to the personnel just in terms in creating the game plan and executing it?


Bowden: My point would be that he does it as well as anybody else. Our people watch us play. They don't watch other teams, and they wonder why we don't do this and why do we do that. How come we're not any better than that? Other teams do the very same things. I bet there have been so many times when I'll be talking on the phone to Jeffery and I'll say, 'Jeffery, run so and so.' He'll say, 'No, it's not a good play.' And I'll say, run it. I know they are giving it to us. Run it.' Well, it's not a good play. I'll say, 'I don't care. Run it.' So he'll run it and the next day I'll look at film and say, 'My lord, I shouldn't have done it. He was correct.' He said don't do it, do this. I've seen so many times where he was right and I was wrong. Well, he catches all the blame no matter what happens. But now, if you'd watch Florida's play-calling or watch Miami's play-calling or watch Alabama's play-calling or watch Georgia Tech's play-calling, you'd see the same thing. You'd say, 'Who's that idiot up there calling plays?'


Thought I would leave you with a non-football story, but a joy to read none-the-less. Not that I like to see the Dawgs down........ but I do. So check out this hot-off-the-press story about a UGAg hoops player who was benched and then kicked off the team because he wouldn't change to an easier major that didn't conflict with practice.

But Dryden said he came to Georgia mainly to pursue a degree in engineering and not a career in pro basketball. His father, who died when Dryden was 2, graduated from UGA with a degree in engineering, and Dryden vowed to honor his father's memory by doing the same.


"That was the backbone reason why I came to Georgia — to go the engineering school, and I wasn't going to change my major," Dryden said.


When it was clear the two parties had reached an impasse, Dryden said Jirsa told him, " 'Then we need to make a change now because your whole heart isn't into this.' "


"I said, 'OK, well, you've got to do what you've got to do and I've got to do what I've got to do.' So that was the last of that. He benched me," Dryden said.


What's that old song - "when you're hot your hot......... when you're not your not".