Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Al Groh Brings the Heat

Well, fans are used to throwing stones at coaches............. and spears......... and daggers.......... and guess what - many deserves a few weapons of mass destruction thrown back at them. That is just what Al Groh has done, basically telling fans to stick to their knitting and quite trying to act like they know how to coach the game of football.

"I understand fans," Groh said. "I don't think fans understand coaches. ? I think I know what it's like to be a fan. I don't think most people know what my life is like, what I do all day long, what the other coaches do, why we do what we do.


"It's a great country. In this country, anybody can say what they want, whether they know the facts or not. That's the great thing about America."


“I fly on a lot of airplanes,” Groh said. “Just because I fly on airplanes, doesn’t make me qualified to be a pilot. I own stocks. Just because I own stocks doesn’t mean I have any idea how and why my broker picks the stocks.


“As a result, I don’t have any opinion as to what the pilot should do, whether he should have flown at 35,000 feet or 15,000 feet. I figure, he’s trained, he’s got all the facts, he knows what he’s doing, he knows a lot more about it than I do. I just let him fly the plane.”


Here's another version of the same story. You know what - props to Coach Groh. Speak your mind coach - let them have it.


Now, having said all that, why on earth did you hire your son to be your offensive coordinator? Steven Logan, the former East Carolina coach who has a new radio show in NC, put it best....... "Son, find your own way". Logan said the #1 reason NOT to hire your son is that every single night you have to go to be with that boy's mama. Think a lot about that. Truer words were never spoken. Can you hear me now Bobby Bowden?