Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Where are they now - Jarrett Jack

Outstanding article on Jarrett Jack, who becomes the heir apparent to take over as the #1 Blazers PG. Check out these comments.

Last season, Jack went a long way toward earning that respect, averaging 6.7 points and 2.8 assists while playing in a team-leading 79 games. At the end of the season, coach Nate McMillan handed out a secret poll to his team, asking them to rank each position. Later, four veteran players revealed that they picked Jack as the top point guard.


"That's respect," guard Martell Webster said. "He's a hard worker, and he clearly showed in practice that he wants to get better. He never gave in to the negativity that went on in practice, so I think he just has all the tools that a great point guard possesses."


On his injury:

"Last year, it was like I couldn't feel from here on down," he said while pointing to an area two inches above the ankle. "It felt like I had two baseballs on the side of my ankle. If I took my shoe off last year, you would see it didn't look right."


From a teammate and a former mate:

"He has been really offensive-minded, pulling up and hitting that jumper, and that's a huge threat," Mason said. "I think he is going to be a good fit here. I know he was here last year, but I think his role is going to step up now that Blake is no longer here."


Blake, who is living in Portland until his wife gives birth later this month, said he can envision Jack becoming the Blazers' lead point guard.


"I think he is in a good situation for himself in his career right now, and I think he will take advantage of it," Blake said. "He's a guy who last year was solid, and a real smart player. He understands the game, loves the game and has a good work ethic . . . and I just think he is going to get better."