Sunday, July 04, 2004

Where are they now - Matt Murton

Looks like Murton is doing quite well - link here.

Murton, who earned all-star honors in the Florida State League and won the home run derby, said he has refined his swing in recent weeks with help from the Sarasota coaching staff, though he also credited the Lowell staff, minor league hitting coordinator Orv Franchuk, and consultants Carl Yastrzemski and Dwight Evans for their tips.

"You take a bit from everybody and see how it fits," Murton said. "It has helped to give me some consistency, and I've felt comfortable the last 20 days or so."

A righthanded batter who is projected to hit for power and average, Murton's plan is to move rapidly through the system without rushing his development so much that it sets him back.

"I feel like I can help a big league ball club one day down the road," he said. "I hope I can continue to move through the organization and help the Red Sox win."