Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Hewitt interview from RamblinWreck newsletter

Thanks to KMW5287 over at ESPN's site for typing this up:

Of the four freshman coming in, is there one guy that really stands out?
I think all four have a chance to have great careers here. I don't know who's going to get out of the gate fastest. If you asked me to guess, maybe (Texas forward) Jeremis Smith, but I think all four have a chance to be great.

During the course of this past season, you mentioned the advantage of having a group of players that had been together for at least a year, if not more. Looking ahead to next season with at least four freshman, how do you get them up to speed quickly?
I think we will rely on the veteran players. It will clearly be the most experienced team I've had since coming to Georgia Tech. That should also make it easier for us as coaches to teach and get guys to understand what we want them to do and how we want them to do it. Probably how we want them to do it is more important than what we want them to do.

How has the Final Four appearance changed your life over the past few months?
I've really had to be careful how I manage it. I do realize that when you're in sports, you're not really doing the heavy lifting in society. You hope to give people a release from their day or a release from what's going on in the real world. You also have a responsibility to speak and make appearances if people ask you to do it, but I realize that those appearances can wear on you.