Saturday, October 16, 2004

Where are they now?

NAT DORSEY
Good story on Dorsey as he sets for a real test Sunday against New Orleans and

standout pass-rusher Charles Grant:
On Sunday, Dorsey's accelerated professional path leads him to Charles Grant, who in three seasons with the enigmatic Saints is fast becoming one of the league's most forbidding pass rushers.

"Linemen don't score touchdowns," said Dorsey, a 6-7, 322-pounder who was one of two true freshmen in the nation named first-team all-league in a major conference's in 2001. "You make a name for yourself by playing your best against the best. That's why you come to this level. That's why I came here, to play against great athletes every week. It's a chance for me to prove myself against him. I know he thinks it's a chance for him, playing against a rookie and everything."


DORSEY HAS SPECIAL AGENDA
"I'm excited," said Dorsey, who played at St. Augustine High in New Orleans. "I get a chance to play some great competition, so this is a chance to prove yourself. It's also a chance to redeem myself for those three penalties. So I'm ready to go out there and play."


DORSEY HOMETOWN HERO IN NEW ORLEANS
HOMETOWN HERO: Former St. Augustine High standout Nat Dorsey will make the second start of his NFL career Sunday for the Vikings. The rookie right tackle committed three false-start penalties in his first start last week at Houston.

Dorsey told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that he expects about 20 family members and friends to attend the game.

"I'm excited," said Dorsey, who will match up against Saints left end Charles Grant, who is tied for the NFL lead with seven sacks. "I get a chance to play some great competition, so this is a chance to prove yourself. It's also a chance to redeem myself for those three penalties. So I'm ready to go out there and play."


NAT A LITTLE JUMPY IN HIS FIRST START

ANTHONY HARGROVE
St. Louis rookie defensive end Anthony Hargrove is a former two-time most valuable player of his high school basketball team. Hargrove's draft status took a dip when he was tossed out of Georgia Tech before the 2003 season. So he did not play after the 2002 season. The Rams have him backing up Bryce Fisher at right end.


KELLY CAMPBELL NOT MAKING COACH HAPPY
Here are his own head coach's comments about his actions:
Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Tice, happy about his team's victory over Houston, was not pleased by wide receiver Kelly Campbell's taunting penalty.

"That was just flat-out dumb," Tice said. "My recourse is to hope the league fines the snot out of him."

"Hopefully he'll realize, 'Gee, that wasn't worth 10 grand. I think next time I'll just stand over here with a cup of Gatorade and be quiet,'" Tice said. "On second thought, I don't think he can be quiet."


CAMPBELL NOT FINED AFTER ALL