Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Jacket Nation Mourns the Loss of Kim King

It is a sad day. Georgia Tech has lost a legend, as Kim King lost his battle with leukemia in the night, at the age of 59. King was truly dedicated to Georgia Tech and was involved with the school for 40 years.

Nice Rivals story with quotes

Developer, GT football star Kim King dies
A nice article about King. Make sure to note that it has 3 pages.

Kim King, Tech Icon, Dies

RamblinWreck.com story

Tech legend Kim King dies
From AJC

Quote from Dave Braine:

"Kim truly loved Georgia Tech, and especially Tech football," said Tech Director of Athletics Dave Braine. "He was a tremendous ambassador for the program, and he was loved by so many people. To say that he will be missed is an understatement."

Quote from Wes Durham:
"This is such a tremendous loss for Georgia Tech and for me personally," said Durham. "Kim King is Georgia Tech, and I'm honored that I had the chance to know him and work with him for the last 10 years."

Quote from Chan Gailey:
"Kim King is the true Tech Man, from the way he played on the football field to his successful business career, and most importantly, in the way he lived his life."


Mr.King, I never met you, but thanks for everything. You were an incredible family man and a great representative of this institution. Our prayers are with your family as they struggle through this hard time.

Mr.King was honored at halftime of the Miami game, as they named the locker-room after him. They brought him out in the RamblinWreck at halftime. They did a beautiful look back at his career and he and his wife were driven around the field while his children watched and cried. It was a fitting ceremony and I am personally glad he saw it. I am honored to say I was there to witness it.

Prior to his passing, he had this to say about about the dedication of the locker in his name:

"I'm not often speechless, but when I learned this news I truly didn't know what to say," said King, who played his last season at Tech in 1967 but has remained a fixture as the school's radio analyst and one of its most influential supporters of athletics. "Outside of my marriage and the birth of my children, this is the greatest honor I've ever received."


Here are a couple of pictures I took of the ceremony:





I have found a few pictures from the web, and some from links you have given me - I will post them here.

Here is the plaque (courtesy of GT-Dean) of the locker-room dedication. I think the inscription says it all:



Here's a little nostalgia for you. This is the cover of a book King wrote:



From AJC:


Here are some threads at the Hive leaving their thoughts
link 1
Link 2 - favorite King lines

To see how much he loved GT, you only have to listen to this - the Catch.
Wow, that gets me all choked up.

Rest in peace young man......