Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Gailey glad to be back in college

....good article from the Idaho Statesman. Some selected quotes:

“Getting used to the players was the easy part,” said Gailey, who became the offensive coordinator this season after the previous coordinator took a job at Maryland. “I haven´t run into one prima dona or one hard-headed veteran. They´re all eager to learn and all great men. I coached at Air Force, so I knew what it was like to work with that next level up intelligence-wise, and that´s what we have at Tech. That was another draw for me.”

“The expectation of this team was they would win two or three ballgames,” Gailey said. “That was the preseason guess for this team. … We had some big victories this year, and some ugly defeats, but (the fans) see where it´s headed.”

“If you look at the season and look at what we have been through and the guys we have lost and the teams we beat this season, it shows we have the potential to be a very good football team,” Foschi said.

“… I hate to say a 6-6 record is something to be proud of, but I am because of the circumstances. Definitely a lot of people outside of our program feel that way, that we did a good job.”

“We´re glad we have the opportunity to finish it with a win,” Gailey said. “That´s the opportunity we wanted.” Just like the Georgia Tech job was for him. “It´s in my home state,” said Gailey, who turns 52 two days after the H-Bowl. “If it had been Kentucky State, I wouldn´t be here.”