Monday, October 13, 2003

Randolph Morris quotes - 6'11" hoops recruit

From a recruiting website:

Morris, a 6-foot-11 player from the Atlanta area, confirmed that Georgia Tech is a favorite. "That's true," he said. "I like Georgia Tech a lot. They're rebuilding and say I can be the focal point." It can't hurt that his older brother, Jonathan Morris, is a manager on the Georgia Tech team. "We've always wanted to be at the same college," Morris said. "We're so close." However, Morris chose Madness weekend for his official visit. He wanted to get a feel for UK basketball at a robust level. "I'll see Kentucky at its best and at its worst," he said. "I'll get a great feel for the whole Kentucky environment." At its worst? A tip from, of all people, Louisville Coach Rick Pitino, led Morris to pick Madness weekend for the visit to UK. "You can see the coach down and dirty in practice," the prospect said. "I talked to Coach Pitino lately and he said to see practice." Morris, who has not set a visit to Louisville, did not see himself getting swept away by the Madness frenzy of enthusiasm. "I don't think I'll go as far as committing," he said. "I have to see what I am missing at the other schools."

Here is the entire article.

By the way, Curtis Bunn of AJC did an editorial about Morris and Dwight Howard, and he leads readers to believe that both Howard AND Morris could jump to the NBA as a 1st round pick NOW! So what is Hewitt to do? Do we go for a "one-and-done" again like Bosh? Personally I think one-and-done tends to only work with perimeter players (a la Carmello Anthony). Just too hard to integrate big men into the flow of an offense. This would be particularly challenging for Paul Hewitt's up-tempo style. We will really see how this pans out this year now that Bosh is gone. However, is Morris a "one-and-done"? Is he another Kwame Brown? He certainly comes from a strong family that believes he will be better in college. Personally, I would LOVE to have him at Tech, as would most Tech fans. I hate kids leaving early, but is this better than them never coming at all? If the NBA puts in this age restriction that would be better for the college game, not necesarily for the kids. I just long for the days when you had Mark Price for 4 years. Oh, for the good old days.

Here is a profile of Morris's game.
Here is a story on his AAU team and teamates this summer.