Sunday, April 06, 2008

LSU fills their Athletic Director Role

Well, good news for Jacket fans. Looks like Dan Radakovich isn't going to LSU to become their new AD. Oddly enough, Duke's AD, Joe Alleva is the guy they hired. I find that strange since he was able to do NOTHING to make Duke football successful, and he basically let Coach K do his thing. However, here is what he was able to do - raise money.

Dan Radakovich was never named publicly as a candidate, although the press continually brought up his name as a possible "under-the-radar" candidate. D-Rad never said anything publicly about it. Well, I take that back. He did actually comment on this very site - in the comments - check it out. Here's what he said at the time:

Scott,

Thanks for the great work on the BLOG.I just wanted to let you know
that my family and I are very happy here at Tech. As you know we have a lot of work to do, and my staff and I have jumped in feet first. I hope to be here a long while. I am usually not a "no comment" guy...as eveidenced by the "Good Word"... but the writer caught me at a banquet last nite where I could not speak.

Thanks again

DRad



Well, he was true to his word. He said he hoped to be here a long time, and by passing up a chance to to replace of the guy who gave him a big opportunity, he shows that he's here to finish what he started.

So far, D-Rad has pushed all the right buttons and has represented himself and the Institute with class. Some took exception to the change in season ticket policy and the increased donation requirements. But honestly, in the simplest explanation he was hired to figure out how to separate you from your money. A "warmer" way to say that is that he's in charge of putting an exciting, quality product on each field and arena. By firing Chan Gailey and bringing in Paul Johnson he made it clear that "a little better than average" wasn't going to be good enough. For D-Rad, it's going to take winning, excitement and putting rears in the seats. It worked for me, as I bought 4 season tickets for the first time ever. Finally bit the bullet.

So we can put that one to rest............. at least for awhile, until Alleva retires or doesn't pan out.