Monday, February 20, 2006

Hoops - Dickey versus Smith

I watched most of the replay of the game, only to find out my "TIVO" (actually Moxi) did not record the last 3 minutes of OT, even though I told it to stop recording 30 minutes late. Ouch.


Anyhow, I have one interesting point to discuss. I didn't see anyone talking about Ra'Sean Dickey's mid-range jumper making a stronger appearance against Maryland. I have to tell you, it's a good looking shot and even when he misses, it's usually pretty close. Nice form, nice arc - I like what I see. It's an element of his game I wasn't really expecting. All-in-all, I have to say that Dickey's offensive game has really developed this season and he seems to have conquered (for now) whatever mental lapses he was going through.


On the other side of the lane, there's Jeremis Smith. Our new AJC beat writer (doing a nice job by the way), referred to Jeremis as the "requisite garbage man". Honestly, that's not far off. He has some nice post moves and his patience on the pivot foot usually causes defenders to commit letting him score. However, his jump shot just looks bad. Sorry, I don't know any other way to put it. It looks so awkward, and it's obvious that this is a part of his game that his actually been dwindled down since entering college. Funny, because Smith was known as having a decent jump shot in high school. I just don't know where it went.


So you have Dickey developing a mid-range game as a bit of a surprise and having success with it. On the other side you have Smith, who's game is turning into a blue-collar clean-up one.


What do you think about what you've seen from their games? Has Jeremis Smith tapped out his potential? Where do you think we'll see his game go next? What about Dickey? Where do you see his game developing?