Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Coach Gailey & Reggie Ball on...... .Reggie Ball

Link here.

Ball said he expects Gailey to see freshman backup quarterback Patrick Carter given more practice time this week.

"I'd boost him up," Ball said. "The last two weeks, I've been playing kind of bad. Not kind of bad, but bad. If coach wants to make that decision, I'm all for it. I don't run the team."

Asked if he expects a change at quarterback, Ball said "I don't know. If it does, it does. If it doesn't, I'll keep going. I'm going to keep pressing, keep working hard, keep trying to lead this team the best way I can. Right now, it just seems like a question that will pop into everybody's head. It wouldn't surprise me."

Gailey said Sunday he will not make a "knee-jerk" decision with Ball.

"We're gonna evaluate exactly what we're doing and we'll come up with some kind of decision during the course of this week exactly what direction we'll go and see what's best for our football team," Gailey said.

" I've been in this long enough to realize you don't base anything just on one game or sometimes even on two games. You make decisions based on where you are and where you want to be."

As it turns out, Gailey had more to say, taking much of the blame himself - link here.
"I don't want Reggie Ball to get the blame for all of this. We can all do better," Gailey said. "I can do better. It's my responsibility to do better. It's not all on him. All anybody wants to talk about it Reggie Ball. It's not a one-person show here."
Gailey also would NOT rule out Bilbo at the QB position. My opinion is that this is a TERRIBLE idea. First, does anyone remember all the INT's when Bilbo was actually playing???? Second, you have finally gotten the kid focused on being a WR - mentally, or so we are led to believe. If that is the case, why are you fooling with his head? Cut the cord. Now, why isn't Bilbo getting the ball??? My own opinion is that Reggie Ball rarely gets past the 2nd read through his receivers. In fact, he rarely gets past the first read before he tucks and runs.

So what would I do? I would start Reggie against Maryland. However, if he proves unable to move the offense once again after the 1st quarter, then give Carter a series or two. But that's just me.