Thursday, October 14, 2004

The "Bobby Ross" Experience

Lest we forget - link here.

"I do take losses hard," Ross conceded. "I am who I am. But I knew it was going to be hard, I knew that. What I've tried to do is keep our eye on the target and persevere and keep working. And, hopefully, one day our kids would reap the benefits, and that's what happened."

He's experienced angst before. He dropped his first 15 ACC starts at Georgia Tech, told his staff he was quitting after a lopsided home loss in 1987 to Wake Forest, thought it over during a three-hour walk around Atlanta, claimed half a national championship three years later. He soon after took the Chargers to the Super Bowl and the Lions to the playoffs - but walked away nine games into the 2000 season, saying that "I just feel like I've failed."


...and on that note:

TECH HAS TO KEEP PROVING IT CAN WIN WITH BALL'S PASSING GAME.
Tech ranks only 10th in the league in passing - ahead of only Duke - but receiver Nate Curry says Ball will deliver if defenses dare him to pass.

"You can't stack the line against the run and not expect us to throw," Curry said. "You can't double-team one receiver because somebody else is going to pick up the slack. If it's not me, then Calvin Johnson or Levon Thomas or Damarius Bilbo. You can't tell who is going to get the ball."

Johnson, a 6-foot-4 freshman, leads Tech with 17 catches for 303 yards and three touchdowns. Thomas and Curry have combined for 27 catches and four touchdowns.

"We have confidence in Reggie, and he knows that we have confidence in him," Curry said. "He proved himself once again against Maryland. We never did doubt him. We knew what he could do."