Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Recruiting Update - Ronnie Palmer

This young man is a talented linebacker prospect considering GT, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Ok St. Now he has Arizona at the top of this list. If he is considering Arizona because they have a real need for linebackers, surely then GT has to be close behind. We are losing our three most talented linebackers and I would be hard-pressed to say another team had a stronger need than GT.

Here are his comments:

Texas linebacker considers UA
JOHN MOREDICH
Tucson Citizen

Linebacker Ronnie Palmer was going down his list about a month ago, a three-star recruit looking at Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
Arizona was not one of the schools he was seriously considering, but that has changed.

The Wildcats are now at the top of the list of the 6-foot-3, 220-pound linebacker from Spring (Texas) High School.

"If I had to chose today, I would pick Arizona, but I still am going to take my other visits," said Palmer, who visited UA last weekend. "I never ever planned to go to Arizona until a few weeks ago, when they started recruiting me more. (Coach Mike) Stoops was recruiting me while I was at Oklahoma, but they stopped once he left."

Stoops picked up where he left off, trying to get Palmer to fill the voids left by linebacker Joe Siofele and rover Clay Hardt in an area that lacks experienced starters.

"I think they are building a team around defense," Palmer said. "Coach Stoops is a defensive-minded coach. I know I have a chance to make an impact. They say they need linebackers. It is a good time to be recruited by Arizona."